Pax was only a kit when his family was killed, rescued by “his boy,” Peter, from abandonment and certain death. Now the war front approaches, and when Peter’s father enlists, Peter has to move in with his grandfather. Far worse than being forced to leave home is the fact that Pax can’t go. Peter obeys his stern father and agrees to release Pax back into the wild. But before Peter makes it through even one night under his grandfather’s roof, regret and duty spur him to action; he sneaks out into the night, determined to find his beloved friend. This is the story of Peter, Pax, and their independent struggles to return to each other in the face of war.
From bestselling and award-winning author Sara Pennypacker comes a beautifully wrought, utterly compelling novel about the essential truths that define us and the devastating costs of war. Pax is destined to become a classic, beloved for generations to come.
WHERE TO FIND PAX
LISTEN TO AN EXCERPT
PRAISE FOR PAX
"'Pax' the book is like Pax the fox: half wild and wholly beautiful."
– The New York Times Book Review
"A sorrowful story...moves cleanly and elegantly to an emotional end."
– The Wall Street Journal
ADVANCE PRAISE FOR PAX
*Moving and poetic.
– Kirkus (starred review)
*Pennypacker’s expert, evenhanded storytelling reveals stunning depth in a relatively small package.
– Booklist (starred review)
*In an exceptionally powerful, if grim story, Pennypacker does a remarkable job of conveying the gritty perspective of a sheltered animal that must instantly learn to live in the wild.
– Publishers Weekly (starred review)
*A startling work of fiction that should be read—and discussed—by children and adults alike.
– School Library Journal (starred review)
Original and heartfelt, Pax shines and soars into your heart.
– John Schumacher, Brook Forest Elementary School
Searingly honest and heartbreakingly lovely, Pax is, quite simply, a masterpiece.
– Katherine Applegate, Newbery Award-winning author of The One and Only Ivan
Pennypacker’s finest work yet…a story sure to resonate with readers long after they’ve finished the last page.
– Dr. Rose Brock, Sam Houston State University
It is a privilege to be destroyed and rebuilt by this novel with every read.
– Elizabeth Bird, New York Public Library
Pax will take hold of your heart from the very first page and not let go until long after you finish.
– Lisa Nehs, Books & Company
A master storyteller, Pennypacker leads the reader along a path of shifting hopes to the story's heart-wrenching conclusion.
– Ann M. Martin, Newbery Honoree, author of Rain Reign
You have to read this novel to experience its power.
– Margaret Brennan Neville, The King's English Bookshop
Quite a feat – incredibly moving, highly original...a brave piece of writing.
– Monica Edinger, The Dalton School
Sara Pennypacker has a seemingly effortless gift for capturing the innocence of childhood.
– Jonathan Hunt, San Diego County Office of Education
Pax has that feeling of an instant classic.
– Mary Brown, Books, Bytes, and Beyond
This book is one that will resonate with kids (and adults) for years to come.
– Leslie Hawkins, Spellbound Children’s Bookshop
Pennypacker's Pax is a book that will remain in the minds and hearts of middle grade readers for the rest of their lives.
– Colby Sharp, Parma Elementary School
Now a New York Times Bestseller